Wednesday, March 02, 2005

The many uses of hand sanitizer

As I stare into the bottle half full of Purell, I wonder to myself. What happens to the other .01% of most common germs that may cause illness? Perhaps we will never know. What we do know, however, that the active ingredient is ethyl alcohol (62% - for antimicrobal purposes). This means not only can you get drunk off it, but it is possible to light it on fire and see what kind of blazing pictures you can make on a cookie sheet. Two of my accomplices have asisted me in this matter. Names, flowers, smily faces; they were are wreathed in a blue flame. As a grand finale, the entire cookie sheet was coated with hand sanitizer, at which point the enormous orange flame signaled a conclusion of the night's activities. But we'll be back. No one can elude the seductive lure of Purell. This is what I don't get. If Purell is 62% alcohol, how can it leave my hands feeling soft and refreshed, with moisturizers and vitamin E? Is that possible? Am I missing something? Did I really think I could center an entire blog post around instant hand sanitizer? How foolish I was. -Matt

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Upon first glance I mistakenly took "good germs" for a blatant oxymoron, but with further research I proved, mostly to myself, that the active ingredient in Kari's statement was, well, truth.
What? you ask --> that there really is such thing as a GOOD germ.
I'm impressed Kari.
Brilliant.
-Kyle

Anonymous said...

Overuse of hand sanitizer, especially a bottle a day, is today's principle contributor of increasing bacterial resistance. As this trend occurs, human medicine and industry counters it by augmenting the potency of its antiseptics, only furthering the stakes of a seemingly endless war between microbe and man.


...Thank you.